From Perfection to Too Close to Home - a review of the Kinwars series

Wherever I can, I try to fit reading into my schedule and have had read some good ones over the years.

My latest book to be read was Wraithkin by Jason Cordova, the man behind several books focusing on kaiju and the like. Before I knew it, I devoured Darkling and Deathlords in quick succession, something I normally don't do. The general premise is that a group of colonies rebelled against the Caliphate of Earth and established themselves as the Dominion of Man, where humanity are split literally into two categories, and is set some 200 years later by following the adventures of the Espinoza family.

I will not give you any teasers here, except that things get really bad before they'll get better for our heroes. What I'd like to talk about was that Jason managed to do and that is to take a breather after the first chapter or so, and go with a very drawn out "oh damn . . .". The thing is, the reaction wasn't just because Jason can put together a bunch of words into coherent sentences, but because of how he showed things.

Let me get back to what I said a couple paragraphs back: The Dominion of Man is split between two groups, the Perfects and Imperfects. These two groups are sorted via genetic testing once you reach a certain phase of your life, when you are born and later when you finish college. If the tests are perfect and there are no anomalies than you're a Perfect and enjoy everything life had to offer for you. If you failed the test . . . Well . . . If you failed your test before you were born than you follow a life of little to no opportunities, discrimination and generally get abandoned by your parents. Those who grow into adulthood and survive can enlist in the Wraith Corps, a military unit made up by Imperfects and are conditioned to be loyal only to the Dominion Emperor himself.

The main character in the series, one Gabriel Espinoza however was diagnosed Imperfect after college and the anguish, pain and sense of loss he experienced made me think of my own struggles with living with a physical disability. Still, Jason showed us hope as well, that life is worth the effort to succeed and for me that was a reminder not to give up, no matter what society throws at you.

I dare you to read it, just go to this link.

Jason, as a writer your job is to ensure that the reader connected with the characters, and connect I did. I cried, I cursed you and then thanked you for introducing a character I can truly identify with due to the parallel of struggles we both face. Above all else, I want to thank you for reminding about family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrate Different Experiences

A small update

Let's rage against them words