Progress Report June 1

As things go, my writing has been going all over the place lately.

With my current submission, a Bukowski adventure by the name of With Prejudice, currently in the hands of a potential publisher, I have been spring cleaning my hard-drive and google drive. The end result was finding a perfectly good novella titled Oranges, a prelude to the Martian Independence War.

The novella is one of my earlier works, having it written sometime back in 2011 and involves an old character from my early play-by-email phase (which hasn't really ended, please check out Dark Frontier). Like the title suggests, it involves oranges and conflict.

Oranges, a prelude to the Martian Independence War is currently in the hands of two beta readers.

Then there is Compromised and Delta Virus.
Both titles are set in the Bukowski universe, and am understandably taking a slight break, as I need to think where I want to go with him and the premise creatively. What started out as an experiment with Exit Strategy and whatended up as my submission were great, but I need something more solid and character driven. I know that the genre that I have chosen to write this series in can do character driven narratives, just look at the stuff written by Jack Higgins and a few others; like Tom Kratman, Jeremy Robinson, Eric Meyer and a few others.     

Still, I know the basics of what it is that I want the stories revolving around Gene Bukowski and his friends to be.

I want the following:
  • Action
  • A well thought out plot that is pluasable in the near future, yet simple and thrilling to follow
  • Drama. I'm not talking about soap opera styled drama, but like the day to day stuff you and I encounter.
  • Near future realism. One of my biggest hurdles when first writing Bukowski's story way back then was when was it set; whether it be fifteen years from now, sixty years or a hundred years from today. I think this is the trick.One of my favourite comics and animated movies of all time was Appleseed, set in the near future with some awesome technology and cyborgs, amongst other goodies. Written and illustrated by Masamune Shirow. The series follows the adventures of ESWAT members Deunan Knute and Briareos Hecatonchires in Olympus. Like much of Masamune's work, Appleseed merges elements of the cyberpunk and mecha genres with a heavy dosage of politics, philosophy, and sociology.

The setting is therefore the most important here.

Whilst waiting and thinking, I have started doodling on a new idea. But that would be for another post.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrate Different Experiences

A small update

Let's rage against them words